Saturday, November 20, 2010

I MISS PAT BURNS

Best memories for me in my drab life as a Leafs fan.....93, Doug Gilmour, Pat Burns, Gretzky, Borechevsky, Kerry Fraser and the drama that was. It seemed that was when Leafs Nation galvanized itself behind a steely ex-cop, ex-Habs coach who brought out the best in players who had not up that point, and didn't afterwards play at the level of those Leafs. Manderville, Zezel, Osbourne....plummers all. Wendel, Douggie and Andreychuk dominating.

It seems sad that Mr. Burns passed yesterday. He was a smoker all his life...but battled four separate forms of cancer for 9 years, winning a Stanley Cup along the way. An amazing and courageous battle.

I hope the Leafs win tonight, and I hope Pat is looking at it all with that smirk of his. He coached the two greatest franchises in the world, yet won his Stanley Cup in Jersey and nobody cares.

Thank you Pat for fantastic memories. I hope there are more to come.

No comments: