Saturday, November 13, 2010

NEW BEGINNINGS

Started a new job today. Karen and I are the new management team at a service outlet here in Victoria, involved in storage and hauling equipment. I'll provide more details once I know what the heck is happening. It all happened really quickly and was totally fate that we even found about it. The newspaper, which we NEVER read, was falling out of the mailbox. I brought it in and it fell open on the add for a "Management Team" Wanted.....that was Thursday before Remembrance Day ceremonies. Karen impressed the hiring team so much that we are already on the payroll!

It's kind of exciting as I haven't actually worked since June of 2008. That's not totally true since I've certainly 'worked' hard on upgrading my education and skills, completing:

the Canadian Certified Human Resources Professional (CHRP) certification
the Canadian Investment Funds Course (I was working with Investors Group post-military)
the Life License Qualification Program (Life Insurance)
and finally an undergraduate degree in Commerce at Royal Roads University, where I and my classmates were subjected to 2 years of curriculum jammed into 44 weeks of full-time school with one week breaks between semesters. I haven't really had a chance to breathe until now.

All this to say, now that I've got these 'skills' it's time to put them to work. I'll keep you posted about our progress and daily follies as we complete our training, get to know our staff and kill rodents, which, unbeknownst to me are quite rampant in storage facilities because people actually store FOOD in their units! Apparently, all part of the job description.

Gonna be a blast! I know Karen is excited for the opportunity to manage and be creative. She's already picked up some really sexy steel-toe shoes for work:) Me, I'm just excited to have a bit of focus, a chance to try and learn new things and most of all, get to do it with Karen by my side. I also have picked up some pretty smokin' steel toes shoes! Gotta look good.....

All that and power tools, a golf cart to get around the compound in! It's almost heaven for a jobsite!

'Til next time. The Leafs are just about to destroy those hated Vancouver Canucks!